Since 1947, Johnson Craven and Gibson Architects (JCG) have been a leader in architecture around the Charlottesville and surrounding areas. Just a few short months ago, JCG took up residence in an office that the firm has a distinct history with. 301 East High Street in Charlottesville, VA is not only their place of business, but the building was designed by the original architects of Johnson, Craven and Gibson. The three partners were Floyd E. Johnson, Thomas W.S. Craven and David J. Gibson. The designs for 301 East High Street were started in 1954 for an office building for W.A.Rinehart. Ultimately, it became the City Mortgage & Insurance Building in 1958 and the firm of Johnson, Craven & Gibson leased the upstairs for their practice.
Since the completion of the building, it has served as the choice business location for:
Today the practice is headed by Anne Gibson Mark (Daughter of David J. Gibson, one of the original firm partners) and Duncan Morton. The firm offers complete services in all phases of architectural practice. During the years, many projects of institutional, commercial, industrial, ecclesiastical and residential character have been executed. It is well-known for its excellence in traditional design and detailing.
It goes without saying that Johnson, Craven and Gibson architects is more than proud and honored to have come full circle in transitioning their practice back to a building that was designed by the original architects of the firm. A building that has served the Charlottesville community since 1958 and continues to do so.